Moving to Another Country

I want to reach out and maybe meet some more people here, or talk with each other and find news, things to do, or information about living in another country, especially Okinawa. Please email eaosmith@gmail.com with suggestions, comments, problems or ideas with dealing with moving to another country.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Updates in Life

Ok, first off I am not good at the blogging everyday thing, if you can't tell.  I get busy or do not want to get on the computer after work so I skip a day, so new plan, give you an update on everything going on, you read at your own pace (a little everyday) and I will post brain dumps of information!!! So anyways now that we have that out of the way. 

Updates on What is going on!
So we are pretty settled, we felt that hanging out at our house was a decent past time.  This is a good sign because before we felt we needed to do something at all times because we are in another country!!! NOT the case we have 3 years. I got food poision last week from eating at the Tree House resturant (Which Kathy really wanted me to eat there).  It is called Naha Harbor Diner.   It is very cool looking, but the food was very expense did not come with sides, and was nothing special for paying 2000 yen (23 dollars) for duck that gives you vomit and other wonderful things!! Kathy I tested it out for you, but next time we will drive by to show you and then eat somewhere that is better food, and less money.   But the reason the resturant is so cool is it is in a tree, now dont get your hopes up, it is not a real tree. It is a fake tree, but it is still pretty cool to look at. 

The resturant is down by the Naha Port which is about 10 miles from where we live.  Now remember Okinawa does not use mileage for directions they use time so in this case the restruant is 1 hr and 15 mins away from us!!! He he the traffic is crazy here!! yes this picture does look a little airbrushed but that is exactly what it loks like! but the buildings around it are closer and more crowded, but this picture gives you a good view of what it does look like.

Next, I have been hangin out with my friends more often and making more friends.  Lahrissa is definately still my fav!!!! But we are slowly adding more, and we have been going to work outs classes together. They are awesome here!!! This is something I did not get to do in the states because I was driving my life away but We go to yoga (super hard wow these people are crazy, I am so bad, but I do feel quite wonderful when I leave), Zumba (the greatest workout ever), and water fitness.  All of them are great. So water fitness is in an outdoor pool, I got sunburn this weekend!!! yay!! Work outs in the pool in Feb!! I love it! Zumba is a dance cardio thing, Our teacher is so awesome, her name is Erna, she really makes burning 800 calories fun!! Watch the youtube video to see what it is like...I am terrible at this too but it just makes you smile!
http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/zumba-dance-dance-dance/8f245ef76e327906e39a8f245ef76e327906e39a-1585219371517 
This does not do justice to Erna's Classes but you get the idea.  You should definately find a class near you and join because it is great.  I think it will help with dance skills too!
Also I went out for a girls night this past weekend which was fun and I got to meet more people here. 

So this past weekend we actually had typical Okinawan weather and it was 70 and sunny. We went to the beach which is so pretty you cant even imagine.  We also loved at dive stuff, because Brad cannot wait to go diving, we will see!!! Next weekend it is supposed to rain but if not, I will be at the beach all day, with a cooler and sandwiches and cards for you Aunt Ann!!

I will get some pics of the house and van on here, this week I will promise you guys that!!!

I took my pet policy package to the Camp Commander. He is against pet towers and pets in housing, but his dupty said that we raised some very good points, and that there should be a pet policy on base.  I presented a pet policy that I think all military bases should enforce because people not being able to have pets should be a privelegde lost not just enforced.  I am hoping he reads over everything that I have put together and he will at least call me in for a meeing.  So I know you guys are sick of me saying this but my house is lonely without Brad, but pray that I get to talk to the Camp commander about my pet policy, I really think it can make a difference.  Brad is going to be deployed 2 times this year for 2-3 months each time, so it would be nice to have my wigglely family memebers here while he is gone, and Brad I promise I will make sure they do not get pet hair everywhere.

I have not been to a sushi place yet, but I am going to try and make everyone go this weekend.  I am having a really fun time, it is just weird being so far away.  We now have a phone so you can call us anytime, preferable not on your lunch hour because that means it is 2 am here!!! We miss everyone!! I will not post everyday probably but it will be more often.  Oh I can count to 1000 in Japanese now. I am getting decent!

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth, I am going to finish reading this post, but I am so amused because the Naha Harbor Diner was the very first meal I had on Okinawa when I went back in '08. The adorable Marine wife who picked me, a total stranger she'd "met" on line, up at the airport, took me there because it was close to the Super Hotel (about $40/nite including full b'fast) and then I traveled other places and ended up spending the last 2 nights at the Super Hotel. In the end, I also ate my last dinner on Okinawa there, by myself. No other customers and the best seafood salad I've ever had or will ever have, I think. OK. I'm going to read your post now, just had to say that. Love, Robin

    ReplyDelete