Moving to Another Country

I want to reach out and maybe meet some more people here, or talk with each other and find news, things to do, or information about living in another country, especially Okinawa. Please email eaosmith@gmail.com with suggestions, comments, problems or ideas with dealing with moving to another country.

Monday, February 8, 2010

Hello Everyone, I am sorry I have not posted in a few days. I figured you could catch up with the loads of stories I wrote last week. This week I will work on Moderation. A little each day, so that I don’t run out of material by the end of the week, because work is not always super exciting! But today was quite a new experience because we do not have Super Bowl Sunday here, since we are 14 hours ahead of Eastern Time, we have Super Bowl Monday. Now, this is interesting because instead of pizza, beer, and chips, I had Waffles, coffee cake, fruit, salmon rolls, and gyoza. So having the Super Bowl game in the morning changes the Super Bowl Food and with a different culture we also have different food! It was a good time and I was very excited the Saints WON!!! Whoo hoo Chris O!! Yay for the Saints.

Also I want to Thank all moms. I talked to My mom yesterday and it was great. Moms always make you feel better so make sure you thank you mom today and tell her you love her. Also tell those Adopted Moms(the ones you add because they are always there for you too) that they are special and loved as well. You know who you are.

Well now for the funny part! Japanese Bathrooms!

Does anyone know why Japanese people don't wear their shoes in the house, well I have a philosophy about 1 reason why. The Japanese Bathroom! It is not so bad for the boys, as usual, they always have it easier. The urinals and toilets are on the floor. Well why am I talking about this, Yumiko-san taught me how to ask where is the bathroom last week, today I was telling her that I used that phrase this past weekend. Well I told her that it was funny seeing/using a toilet on the floor. She asked, "do you know how to use the toilet?" I said " I think so". I was thinking ah I hope so and I didn’t know you could mess this up, and man there are some interesting/useful things I NEED to learn!! Haha.

She then said that when you use Japanese toilets you do not face the stall door like we do in the United States. Whoops! First thing I did wrong! Then she said always flush using your shoe. Whoops! Glad I washed my hands. So when you females use a Japanese toilet you need to 1. Squat (I guess that is why they teach you when you are a kid), 2. Face the wall not the door, 3. Aim. The aiming part is why I have decided that their shoes are a little dirtier and why you don’t really want to wear your shoes in the house. 4. Flush with your foot and shoe (another reason to not wear you shoes in the house). Don’t worry females when you visit, most toilets are regular but some out in town will be a NEW experience for you, but it is a good thing I have taught you the way to use a Japanese toilet!! ha ha I hope you guys got a good laugh from this one!

So here you would want to face the flush handle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaeGL3SvvyA   Here is the link of the little kids dancing from the festival. I wish I had recorded longer, but you will get the idea!

3 comments:

  1. Liz that toilet is awful! LOL I wouldn't make it over there. That's hilarious though

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I guess that's why Japanese people are so thin; they have to work hard to use the toilet...unlike us where we sit! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your description of squatty potties! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete