Moving to Another Country

I want to reach out and maybe meet some more people here, or talk with each other and find news, things to do, or information about living in another country, especially Okinawa. Please email eaosmith@gmail.com with suggestions, comments, problems or ideas with dealing with moving to another country.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Oki-Mobile

So I have been talking about how it is weird to drive a mini-van, and that they are really cool here.

Well Mini-vans are cool!!! Since vehicles are so small here, having a mini-van like this is gigantic. You might as well drive an 18-wheeler!!! Those are funny looking as well.  It is weird to learn how to drive on the other-side of the road. You will be driving in the car and think, "oh no that person is reading while in the car, or oh my gosh where is the driver!!!!!" Then you will remember the driver is on the other-side of the car! I still think that every once and awhile!!
Also the windshield wipers are on the left and the blinker is on the right,  so when you are freaking out cause you are turning the wrong way on the wrong side of the road and are trying to get your blinker to help you...you will turn your windshield wipers on full blast!!!! It will then scare you and the only thing you can think is ...shit, I have my windshield wipers on full blast, where is the blinker, hopefully these people will laugh when I finally get figured out which side of the road I am supposed to be driving on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  While I am thinking all this I also have someone yelling wrong way and dying laughing as I drive like crazy person on the wrong side of the road!!  It is then funny once you have not hurt anyone.  Then you go yes, I made it through that and you turn you windshield wipers off!
Ha ha I have done this a few times! Also I still walk to the wrong side of the car when Brad is driving.

License Plates are different here.  They are classified by engine size and weight. So you can tell when a person has a tiny vehicle and should be slow. So you are to be nicer when they don't accelerate fast.!!! SO this plate is smaller engines and light weight, (a mini vehicle-below and smaller).


Also the Kanji letter (Japanese Character) on the left says the person is native, if there is a Y there, you know there are American!!! This helps when you get mad at a driver and want to yell, you can tell if they should know better!!!! And always remember no honking in Japan!!! It is not nice, so you city folks that honk at everyone and drive like crazy people you will have to contain yourself here, because that is not allowed and the max speed here is usually around 40 mph.  The traffic is usually so bad that you won't reach that fast anyways!!!! He he so be safe and no honking!!



Also always avoid drivers with these symbols in the window!!! You will get in big trouble if you hit them.  They are like exempt from all driving rules!!!!!!! The one on the right is an Old Person Driver, and the one on the left is a New Driver!!!!
File-Wakaba_mark.svg.pngFile-Kourei_mark.svg.png

Instead of punishing these types of drivers, we excuse them from driving laws and blame everything on the person that got in the wreck with them.  SO at least you know when and where they are unlike the states where you assume all Florida people are old!!! Ha ha just kidding Florida Family!!!   Now you guys are ready for driving in Okinawa, besides the fact that a stop sign looks like a yield sign, a yield sign looks like a stop sign, a no parking sign looks like a no smoking sign, and everything is written in Kanji (Japanese Letters)!!! Ha ha!! You are ready!!!
  


4 comments:

  1. Well the old people driver is the one on the bottom and the new driver is the one on the top, it published different!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Liz, I wish I could have seen you drive over there! I use your blog posts as a way to procrastinate writing my thesis so thanks lol! Always entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are soooo cute! I can totally relate to turning on the windshield wipers every time you change lanes. I did it a million times when I was there and also, I approached the passenger side to get in the car. It was worse when I got home because I had gotten used to it there and had to go through turning on the windshield wipers, etc. on my car in the states.

    You are awesome! I love your blog and am loving seeing Okinawa and everything that is new through your eyes. Super job!

    ReplyDelete